The Suffolk 1874
Central Queensland Herald (Rockhampton, Qld. : 1930 - 1956), Thursday 22 May 1930, page 14
The Suffolk, 974 tons register, Messrs. Taylor, Bethell, and Roberts, London, left Gravesend on May 20 for Rockhampton, commanded by Captain Byford; surgeon-superintendent,
Dr. R. T. Freeman; matron, Mrs. Gaudin. The Suffolk is the 136th vessel that has sailed under the land-order system of emigration and under the immediate direction of the Queensland Government Office, London. On the 25th July, in lat. 43 degrees S. and long. 63 degrees E., the vessel experienced a very heavy storm from the southward, with a tremendous sea running, wind backing from east to south, ending about S.S.W, and S.W.; barometer at the lowest, 29.28 ins. Lost Bowsprit, foremast, mainmast, mizen-topmast, mizen-gaff, figure head, and cut water; lost all sails and rigging, quarter galleries washed in, cabins swamped, three boats and gear smashed to pieces, one boat blown inboard and injured; lost hen-coop and everything moveable on deck, Etc. The bad weather lasted two days, the worst of it 20 hours on the 28th July, in lat. 40 degrees, 50. S., and long. 59 degrees 52, E.; bore up to the Mauritius for repairs. After remaining there until repairs were effected, the Suffolk proceeded on her voyage to Keppel Bay where she arrived on November 12, 1874. The Health Officer, with Captains Hunter and Rundle, accompanied by Mr. W. Thomson, of the firm of W. and M. C. Thomson, the agents of the vessel, boarded the immigrant ship in Keppel Bay on Saturday Morning the 14th November.
The Surgeon-Superintendent, Dr. Freeman, having stated that all was well on board the ship, Dr. Salmond proceeded with, his usual investigation, and finding everything en regle, granted pratique at once. The immigrants, with their luggage, were then place on board the steamers Pioneer and Mary, and the Pioneer, having the start arrived alongside the wharf at half-past three o'clock in the afternoon, with 141 single men, who were received by Mr. Lynam, and escorted to the depot, while the remainder of the people, consisting of the single girls and the families, came up in the Mary about an hour afterwards, and were taken care of by the same officer, assisted by Senior-Sergeant Graham and a few policemen.
The immigrants presented a very healthy appearance, and should certainly prove an acquisition to our population. When the Suffolk left England she had 460 souls on her passenger list, equal to 395 statute adults, divided as follows: — Full-paying, 22; assisted 37: free, 384; remittance, 17; and they consist principally of domestic servants, with a fair proportion of tradesmen.
As our readers are aware, the ship was compelled to put into Port Louis, where some of them (five women and two men) chose to remain. The depot is over-crowded, and Mr. Lynam stated he is compelled to accommodate some of them in his own apartments and in the surgery, and states that there is only room enough for 26 families while the present number by the Suffolk (fifty-two) are crowded into the same space "M.B." 16/11/74
The following report by the ship's Captain appeared in the Rockhampton Morning Bulletin:
We are indebted to the kindness of Messrs W & M.C. Thomson for the subjoined information relative to the ship Suffolk received by Saturdays mail:-
Report of bad weather by Captain Robert Smith Byford, of the ship Suffolk, from London and Gravesend, 84 days out, with 457 emigrants for Rockhampton, Queensland, put in dismasted.
On the 25th July in latitude 43 South and longitude 60 East, the vessel experienced a very heavy storm from the southward, with a tremendous sea running, wind back from east to south, ending about S.S.W. and S.W.: barometer at the lowest, 29.28, a very heavy sea running: lost bowsprit, foremast, mainmast, mizen-topmast, mizenogaff, figure head, cutwater: lost of all the sails and rigging, quarter galleries washed in, cabins swamped, three boats and gear smashed to pieces, one had blown inward and injured, and the other two also much injured; pumps and wheels injured' lost hen-coops and everything moveable on deck. The bad weather lasted two days, the worst of it twenty hours on the the 28th July, in latitude 4050'S and longitude 59 52 E: bore up to the Mautitius for repairs.
The Suffolk sailed from Gravesend, London on 20th May 1874 .
The Suffolk arrived in Rockhampton on 14th November 1874.
Registered to Messrs Taylor, Bethell and Roberts, London
The Captain: Mr Byford
Surgeon Superintendant: Dr. R. T. Freeman
Matron: Mrs. Gaudin.