Duke of Sutherland 1888

Notes on Voyage by James Stephen Sayce

Arrived: Brisbane 30 Dec 1888

Notes from Pocket Notebook October 26th 1888

Left Tram Inn Station two Bulls from the Herd of Mrs J Rankin of Beryngwyn Herefordshire took charge of 5 other beasts at lominster viz 2 bull calves from Mr Robinsons of Lynhales Titley also a bull from Mr Roggers of Presteigne one heifer from Mr Yeomans of Stretton Court one from Mr Green of Marlow.

Left Leominster for London Royal Albert docks about 6.30 arrived in the Docks 10am on Saturday. Put the cattle and boarded in the afternoon.

Left Albert Dock on Tuesday the 30th about 9 o'clock passed Dover about 10pm.

Passed the Isle of White about 11am on the 31st Oct. Cattle all well but rather shy of food especially the biggest bulls. Myself rather sick, not seriously.

Nov the 1st. Cattle all sick except two calves. I myself being sick and bad enough. Managed to attend to my work however.

Nov the 2nd. Got out of the Bay of Biscay about 7pm having had about 30 hours of rough steaming there being a brisk wind blowing the whole of the time.

Nov the 3rd. The weather was very fine. we passed the Sinister Lights on the coast of Portugal, A mass of rocks with a lighthouse on the top. the country seems rocky all along the coast. Sight the coast of Spain that too seems little else but rocks.

Nov the 4th. the weather very fine and warm the scenery very pretty as we pass along the coast of Spain. Cattle and myself very much better.

Nov the 5th. We pass Gilbralter about 2am but could not see much of it except the outline. It is a mass of Rocks the Military Barracks being about the centre with a Lighthouse at either end.

Nov the 6th. the weather still very fine and warm. We sight the coast of Africa on the right and lose sight of Spain. Cattle and myself all very well.

Nov 7th. Rather more wind moving. Had a storm of rain for an hour or so. Pass Algiers view the coast of Africa for the most part of the day. Pass a Rocky Island uninhabitable. Pass Cape Bond on the coast of Africa.

Nov the 8th. The weather still very fine and warm. Pass Malta in afternoon.

Friday the 9th. The weather continues fine until evening when the wind rises and blows through the night.

Sat the 10th Nov. A strong breeze blowing all day and continues through the night causing a good deal of motion on the ship. The cattle and myself being sick.

Sunday the 11th of Nov. The weather rough through the night. Followed by a tempestuous day with a very disagreeable motion on board. Many on board being sick myself and the cattle included.

Monday Nov the 12th. Arrive at Port Said about noon to be relieved from the rough sea by a good smothering with coal dust. Having taken on board a supply of Coals we proceed on our journey through the Suez Canal. A brisk cool wind blowing the whole of the night.

Tuesday Nov the 13th. The morning quite cool with a brisk wind blowing. Reach Port Suez. Not all well however an accident occurred whereby four men were more or less hurt through the breaking of a pulley block while hauling the ship out of (canal) for another ship to pass. Stay at Suez about half an hour then proceed on our way through the Red Sea. The weather cool and agreeable.

Wed the 14th of Nov. The weather fine and warm but a fresh breeze blowing we see two ships stranded on the coast of Africa.

Thurs the 15th. The weather still very fine rather warmer however with a fresh breeze. We pass a ship homeward bound. All going well as yet see no land.

Nov the 16th. The weather very warm. We see nothing very interesting.

Nov the 17th.

Nov the 18th. the weather very fine and warm though we have a nice breeze. Pass a place known as Hells Gate viz a quantity of rocks and a British Fortress on the right called (Speriam) and French on the other side called (Ofrake). The weather very fine with a smart head breeze.

Nov the 19th. Pass a (Coxling) Station called ___. The weather very fine with a brisk head wind blowing.

Tuesday Nov the 20th. The weather very fine and warm with a smart breeze. Rather disagreeable on the ship.

Thursday Nov 22. Weather still fine and warm too much motion to be pleasant on board. Had a storm of rain in the evening.

Friday Nov the 23rd. the weather rather cooler. Not so much wind either. See no land for three days.

Nov the 24th. Pass an island. Have some storms. Rather unpleasant motion. Being rather warm too.

Nov the 25th. The weather rather cooler with fresh breezed nothing particular to note.

Monday the 26th. Weather rather tempestuous and very wet through the whole day.

Tuesday the 27th. A very rough and tempestuous day. Gets calmer in the evening. We arrive at Colombo about midnight.

Wed Nov the 28th. The vessel steamed into Harbour at Colombo and remains until evening taking on board coals and water etc. Leave Colombo and proceed on our journey about 6pm.

Thurs 29th. Continues on our journey through the Indian Ocean. Weather very close and warm with occasional storms of rain.

Friday the 30th. We continue our journey through the Indian Ocean. weather very close and warm with occasional storms of rain.

Saturday the 31st. Weather much the same nothing noteworthy occurs.

Sunday 1st Dec. A very warm day with a heavy storm of rain pm. Crossed the line about noon.

Monday Dec 2nd. The weather cooler with gentle rain. Nothing particular to note.

Dec the 3rd. The weather fine overhead but a very disagreeable motion on the ship. All else well.

Wed Dec the 4th. The weather still fine overhead but a strong North wind and disagreeable motion we sight land viz an island called (Chinoka) in the Indian Archipelago all else well.

Thursday Dec the 5th. we sight the coast of Java and Sumatra. the Island of (Crichatoo). The weather very fine and warm but the sea very much smoother all going well. We see two ships and a number of small craft. the scenery very curious and interesting. we pass Batavia a Dutch settlement.

Friday the 6th of December. We continue our journey along the coast of Java see a number of small islands. The weather fine for the most part had a slight storm of rain the water as smooth as millpond a great number of fishing boats on it.

Sat Dec the 7th. We continue to pass islands some of which are considerable extent and seem to be fertile others old volcanoes steep and barren. weather still fine and the sea smooth. All going well.

Sunday the 8th. We pass several islands some very high hills. Old volcanoes. weather fine all going well. Cattle all well.

Monday Dec the 9th. Weather very fine. Water very smooth. We continue to pass one small island after another. All going well.

Tuesday the 10th Dec. Weather still very fine, rather warm the scenery much the same all going well.

Wednesday the 11th Dec. Weather still very fine and the water smooth all going well.

Thurs the 12th. Weather very fine all very pleasant and going on well.

Friday the 13th. Weather still very fine and agreeable all going well.

Saturday the 14th. Arrive at Thursday Island. Discharge cargo and depart same evening.

Sunday the 15th. A very fine day very warm the men very busy on the ship rigging the derricks etc. All going well.

Monday the 16th. We arrive at Cooktown and discharge the cargo addressed thereto. Leave in the pm.

Tuesday 17th Dec. Arrive at Cairns early in the morning all well. weather very fine and warm. Commence to discharge cargo and passengers viz 4 leave pm.

Wed the 18th. the S. Ship Manora in harbour arrive Townsville about 5am. All well commence to discharge cargo 2 passengers land. There a very busy time with the seaman. Officers and men work all night.

Thurs the 19th. The work of discharging cargo continues vigorously some very large Bailers and Plant for water Works being among the cargo. the ship Lindula arrive her homeward bound.

Friday the 20th. the work of discharging continues all going well. Weather very warm. Leave Townsville about 2pm. and proceed south all well.

December the 21st. Arrive at Port Mackay discharge cargo and proceed south. All well.

Dec the 22nd. Arrive at Keppel Bay about 5am. The Lighters being there. They commence at once to discharge cargo.


Dec 27th 1888 P3 Duke of Sutherland (Eastern Steamship Co) from London on 22nd October now coming.

31 P3 :: arrived 30th December (Sunday)

The B.I. and Q.A. are the company agents.

Jan 1 1889 P3 :: Captain J.S. Cox 2032 Ton Cargo: haberdashery, machinery, glass shades, hams, linen, Oilmens stores, beer, large quantity of iron, confectionary, cocoa,,,,, glassware, showcards, shoes, castings, nuts, galvanized iron, whisky, hardware, bedsteads, cotton soap, horse shoes, rivets, ranges, stoves, springs, chandeliers, champagne, wire, milk, shirts, leather, pianos, printing press, etc. etc. etc.

Jan 1 1889 P3:: actual departure from London was 30th October,1888, Port Said on the 13th Nov. Colombo on 29th Nov left same day at 7pm. Thursday Island on 15th Dec. Cooktown 17th Dec. Cairns 18th Dec. Cleveland Bay 19th Dec. Keppel Bay 23rd Dec. Anchored in "Brisbane Roadstead" 29th.

"The Duke of Sutherland also brought seven head of fine young Hereford cattle - three bulls, two cows and two heifers for Gracemere, Mr A Archer's station. They were all landed in splendid condition, having stood the voyage well".

A copy of the above notes were donated to our library by Geoffrey Limpus, a great grandson of James Stephen Sayce. Geoff is researching this family and would love to hear from anyone who has any information on the Sayce family. Geoff has been unable to find any official record of the arrival of J.S. Sayce in Rockhampton or Brisbane. however extracts from the Brisbane Courier and the Bulletin, together with notes and dates from his diary indicate that J.S. Sayce was the experienced man in charge of Mr Archer' consignment of cattle. Anyone with any information that can help Geoff would love to hear from you.

**extracted from the "C.Q. Geneologist" December 1991


Dec 28th 1888

"Mr T Archer of Gracemere Station, Blackall district who was a passenger from London per the Duke of Sutherland, says the Townsville Bulletin, has bought with him one of the most valuable consignments of Hereford bulls yet landed in Queensland. They have been specially selected from amongst the best animals that Mr Archer saw during his recent visit to the old country, and he has every reason to be proud of them. Having had the supervision of an experienced man and the advantage of an exceptionally fine passage, the animals are in perfect order, and those who saw them on board the vessel were enthusiastic in the terms of admiration. the bulls are to be landed at Moreton where they will undergo quarantine".