Early Schooling in Rockhampton & District

(Information about the opening of the schools in Rockhampton area has been taken from A E HERMANN "Development of Rockhampton & District - Volume 1")

Rockhampton primary schools date back to 1859 in the very year of the Canoona gold rush. It was a period of tough living and hardship but despite all this, parents decided that education for their children was a necessary part of life

Below is a list of schools in the Rockhampton area and the date when they were founded or opened. There have been a number of schools opened in the past 25 years and these have not been included.

Early Schools

  • Allenstown School founded 16 July 1877

  • Berserker Street School founded January 1917

  • Central Boy's School cnr Denham, Murray & William Street founded 1887

  • Central Girls School continued at William & Denison St. first Rockhampton school erected on this site in 1859

  • Crescent Lagoon School (for students living in Nine Mile Area) founded 7 July 1896

  • Depot Hill School founded 14 September 1920

  • Frenchville School founded November 1900

  • Glenmore School founded 7 October 1889

  • Gracemere School founded February 1871

  • Lakes Creek School founded 1872

  • Leichhardt Ward School (later for boys only) founded July 1905

  • North Rockhampton School founded 31 March 1871

  • Park Avenue School founded 1898

  • Pink Lily Lagoon School founded 9 September 1872

  • Port Curtis School founded 23 March 1875

  • Rockhampton National School (later known as Rockhampton Primary School and Central State School ) - there were actually two schools - one for boys and one for girls. William & Denison St

  • founded 18 November, 1862

  • Rockhampton School and a centre for Divine Services - parents had to pay 1/6 per week per pupil founded 1859.

  • The Hall Girls and Infants School founded 1910

Convent Schools

  • Koongal Convent Sisters of Mercy 1903

  • North Rockhampton Convent - Sisters of Mercy 1900

  • Our Lady's Convent - first erected behind the Kent St convent and later to become the first Catholic High School . Later moved to West St as Infant & Primary School unknown date but before 1883

  • Park Avenue Convent School - Sisters of St Joseph 1939

  • St Josephs School, cnr Alma & Derby St , first established by Father Charles Murlay and after 1873 run by The Sisters of Mercy. St Patrick's school - a senior school for girls.

  • There was also an infants school and a boys school in West Street before 1873

  • St Patrick's School built on the original site of St Joseph 1908

  • St Peter's Primary School - Presentation Sisters 1934 (classes in church) 1951

  • St Therese's Convent School , Bolsover St - Sisters of Mercy 1934

  • Wandal Convent - sisters of St Joseph 1912

Other Christian Denomination Schools

Church of England Schools

  • St Pauls' Day School (new parish hall) 1901

  • St Faith's School, Yeppoon 1923

  • Seven Day Adventist Church , North Rockhampton 1975

Over the years, there have been a number of Private or church schools that have been founded and closed in this area.

  • Boy's Grammar School - Agnes St (originally 26 boys and 27 girls) Girls department ceased in four years 1 February 1881

  • Christian Brothers College (Boys only) West St 2 July 1894

  • Convent & School of Our Lady of Good Counsel /Convent High School, Range College - Sisters of Mercy - Agnes St, Rockhampton ( in beginning had primary and secondary students & boarders . Became an all girls school 1895

  • Girls Grammar School Agnes & Denham St 19 April 1892

  • Glenmore High School , Farm Road , Glenmore 1975

  • Marian Girls School , Yaamba Rd, NorthRockhampton (Secondary) 1964

  • North Rockhampton High School Berserker Street, North Rockhampton late 1955

  • Rockhampton High School , Campbell Street 14 May 1960

  • St Brendans College, Yeppoon - Christian Brothers - Boys Day 7 Boarding 1940

  • St Stanislaus - Christian Brothers - boys, Yaamba Rd, North Rockhampton 1958

  • St Ursula's Convent & School , Yeppoon - The presentation Sisters - Primary and boarding students and the following year, secondary students (Girls) 29 January 1917

  • State High School and Technical College was established with a first drawing class and other subjects under the jurisdiction of the School of Arts - classes held behind the School of Arts in Bolsover St 1890

  • Technical College, Bolsover St 1909 – 1960

St Pauls Church of England & School 1863

Image Source: Qld State Library

Copperfield State School

Image Source: Qld State Library

Calliungal North State School

Image Source: Qld State Library

Pullar, G. C. (Gordon Cumming) (1912). Copperfield State School, Copperfield, Queensland, ca. 1913.